Tuesday, May 05, 2009

इन सर्च ऑफ़ अ न्यू नतुरे नामे...

First of all, let me just start by saying that something is wrong with Blogger (because it couldn't possibly be user error!). When I try to type in my blog post title the words come up/get translated(?) into a bizarre language which resembles Farsi. Okay, whatever! If anyone out there in the blogosphere knows what's wrong please fill me in.

Okay, and now onto the real reason for the post: I am thinking of giving myself a new nature name for work. I'm looking for something that is beautiful and sweet, representational of me, and can stand alone as a name without "Cathy" next to it. Also, I'm looking for something that's not too cutesey-pootsey. Here are some ponderings:

Summer
Heron
Feather
Fern
Sierra
Skye
Sunshine
Cheyenne
Kai (ocean)
Poppy
Ginger (my Mom's name. humm...)
Aspen
Kamala (born of the lotus)
Kamalah (lotus)
Leilani (heavenly flower)
Coral
Orion
Kamaya/Kamea (precious one)
Elyse
Willow
Calanthia (beautiful flower)
Daisy
Butterfly
Ladybug
Coyote ??

Or perhaps this is just a list of names that I like. None of them seem to suit me. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

5 comments:

Tandava said...

For the Blogger thing, it sounds as though you somehow got the Hindi transliteration feature turned on. Read this article about that setting, and try changing it.

I'll have to think about the name bit and get back to you on that.

Cathy said...

GRAHAM saves the day once again. Why does blogger chose just a few random languages to translate(ish)?

Tandava said...

Well, it's not actually translation, but transliteration, converting sounds phonetically from one alphabet to another. (Not trivial, but much easier than actual translation, I think.) So first of all, you have to pick languages that use a different alphabet, and whose speakers are also used to typing it in our alphabet as a workaround. Then you have to get a language with a large Blogger user base, to make it worthwhile. I think India fits these criteria, which is why all the languages in that setting are Indian. And then, of course, it helps to have engineers who speak that language to actually create the feature, but Google has plenty of those (both here and in India).

And if that was more than you really cared about hearing, well, that'll just teach you to ask me to explain things. :-)

I'm still uncertain about the name question. "Coyote" is tempting because you're a dog person and like to smell everything, but it doesn't really sound like a name. (And I don't know if you were going for the "Coyote the Trickster" mythology sort of association or not.) Of the others, some clearly sound more like names, like "Summer," "Sierra," or "Skye." And some don't. ("Heron"?) I probably haven't known you long enough to be the best judge of what would fit you, but I could imagine those three "S" names working. There's something about "Kai" that I like, though I'd have to think about that one some more.

I think the nature theme might work better in other languages, especially Hawaiian (as with "Kai"). I know a lady who's name is "Anuenue," which means "Rainbow." (She goes by "Nue," pronounced "NEW-ey.") Play around with this Hawaiian translation site if you want some more ideas.

Cathy said...

Yeah Graham! Thanks for the name input. Love the Hawaiian translation site! So rad!

Aaron J. Clegg said...

Hmm, a lot of those names you suggested are really great sounding. (I especially like Sierra and Skye, go Scotland!) Nature names are a cooky thing... Try going out into nature and getting quiet and seeing what speaks to you. Quiet the mind and maybe something will come. My nature name, Red Tail, came to me when I arrived at my first OE job and opened the car door to hear a red-tailed hawk overhead. (Ok so maybe "Red Tail Ale" had a tiny bit to do with it, too.) Anyway I would suggest going out somewhere in nature and getting quiet so your heart can choose, not your head. Here, take my advice, I'm not using it. :)