Monday, May 11, 2009

The Baby Chick Story


I love this story with every little chamber of my heart. It is a true Mother's Day story, and has been on my mind all weekend. I hope that you enjoy it and pass it on too. Lacey and I went to visit our friend Jim and his girlfriend, Linda, in Santa Cruz this past Saturday. Jim and Linda had recently been to Hawaii and Jim told us of this amazing story from his trip:

One day when Linda and Jim were at the beach there were some chickens also running around the beach. One of the hens laid an egg on the towel of another beach goer. Jim immediately picked up the egg exclaiming that it was probably going to taste wonderful! Linda snatched the egg from his hand retorting, "Like hell you will," and promptly placed the egg safely into her bra. She kept the egg there for the three remaining days of their trip, through the agricultural inspection at the airport, and back home to Santa Cruz until she could purchase a real incubator for the egg.

The egg sat in the incubator for several weeks until Jim was able to convinced Linda that they would throw out the egg on Sunday, if the chick had not hatched. Saturday morning they came home to a broken eggshell in the incubator, but no chicken. Of course they were confused until they found that the chick had fallen out of the incubator, off of the dresser that the incubator was on, and into the trash can next to the dresser. Fortunately the trash can was full and made soft landing!

The chick is healthy and well, and SO cute. It is also VERY, overwhelmingly sweet! It gets sad when it can't be sitting/sleeping in your arms, or on your shoulder. I got to hold and enjoy this little, beautiful miracle! I am also hoping that Jim will let me have her! I think that a hen would go nicely with the rest of my zoo (please note the sarcasm in my voice).

1 comments:

Emily Kelly said...

OH MY GOSH, CATHY!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Also- very impressive that Linda was able to do such a great job of transporting the egg in her bra. So glad there's a happy ending :)

Can't wait to see chick photos!!